Monday 1 October 2012

Living in Dubai, part 1

So, here we are, living in Dubai. Remember, that place I blogged about a few years back, when I visited? I didn't expect to be living here then, but here I am. It's not permanent. We arrived in March and we go home again in July of 2013, so that gives us plenty of time to experience a completely different way of life. Within a few weeks of arriving, we acquired an apartment for one year's rental. The apartment is on Floor 30 of The Address Downtown (picture right). This is one of the iconic buildings in Dubai, situated right next to the Dubai Mall and directly opposite the Burj Khalifa. Of course, do not confuse it with The Address Dubai Mall, which is a completely different building but is also right next to the Mall. In addition, do not confuse it with The Address Dubai Marina Mall. Or with The Address Residences, now under construction at - yes, the Dubai Mall! They all use the same logo, website etc, and it gets very confusing. On more than one occasion I have been dropped off at the wrong place. Fortunately, the Address Dubai Mall is about a 10 minute
 walk through the Mall to the Address Downtown.

I have to say, living here is amazing. The Mall is on the doorstep, with everything we need, from food shopping to restaurants, cinema, the bank, you name it and it's in this Mall. It's the biggest Mall in the world in square footage of floor area, as it's the size of the Trafford Centre but on four floors. It's nice just to walk around in there, and after a few months here I know it like the back of my hand now.The Address itself is a great place to live. It isn't the biggest apartment, but it's comfortable. The furnishings are high quality, and we get cleaners three times a week, when they also change all the linen. The facilities are superb. The gym is well equipped and looks out at the lagoon and the Burj Khalifa. there's a spa, a hair salon, several restaurants, a conference centre, and the best hotel pool I have ever seen. One of the pictures here was taken from the gym, and shows how the pool wraps itself around the building. It changes levels five times. It has a children's pool (the covered area) and at the extreme right you can see the roof of the bar, which you can swim up to for a cool drink while you sit on the underwater bar stools. There are little islands with wooden hammocks, and scores of loungers. It is beautifully landscaped, with palms, trees, bushes and flowers, and even lawns. Parts of it are an infinity pool, so it looks as though you could swim right off the edge. It's about four floors above the lagoon and the mall promenade, so there's quite a view. It's rather nice being able to swim around while the fountains in the lagoon are doing their thing. The pool is illuminated at night, as are the fountains.I go down there at around 8am most mornings, for a nice swim around while it's
quiet. Most of the time I am the only one down there, sometimes there are one or two others. The water is usually warm. Sometimes it's rather like stepping into a bath! During the hottest part of the day cold water is pumped in, to cool it down!
To be honest, I could spend the entire blog just describing this pool, but you can get a sense of it from the pictures. The interior of the hotel is also stunning. It's very modern, with lots of curved walls, glass, marble, creative lighting, steel and dark wood. The hotel part is separate from the residential apartments. Looking at the building, the lower floors which form the base make up the hotel, while the tall section comprises the apartments. Each section has its own reception area, its own entrance, and
its own elevators, although all of the facilities are accessible to everyone, whether a residentor a hotel guest. The staff are very friendlyand efficient, and I am greeted with "Morning,Ma'am," every day. I'm beginning to understand what the Queen must feel like!

My intention with this continuing blog is to show those who read it what life here is like, so I will be adding to it from time to time with posts on different subjects. Dubai is full of quirky things, from the bureaucracy to the laws of the land, which I will be mentioning as time goes by. All in all, living in this place is nothing like I expected. Hopefully I can teach you something about the culture, the people, the customs and the uniqueness of this place through my own experiences of living here. I am going to try to add to this blog often, so if I forget, please remind me! I'll try to fit it in, when I'm not shopping or swimming!


No comments:

Post a Comment